Saturday, June 24, 2006

Poor, poor heterosexuals...

I'm a strong advocate of gay marriage. Thankfully, there are people who can point out how unfair I'm being to heterosexual folks, myself included, by not recognizing why they deserve special rights. Here, we get the interesting idea that het folks deserve a little something extra, because a oral sex and mutual masturbation carry a heavy risk of pregnancy.

No, really, hetersexual sex carries a huge risk of pregnancy, and that must mean that going down on your partner, or pleasuring your partner with your fingers, or even rubbing/stroking up against your partners body can cause pregnancy, because those certainly bring about sexual pleasure and are certainly accessible to het folks.

Okay, yes, I'm teasing. When I say I'm a weirdo, I don't just mean I'm, you know, weird, I mean I'm, you know, weird. I never learned that intercourse was supposed to be the be-all and end-all of sex. In fact, one of the things that upsets me about abstinence only sex education is that, honestly, I'd prefer if kids learned that intercourse is the baby-making game, but other stuff is okay. Yeah, you can avoid babies with condoms and a secondary form of birth control (properly used, condoms are 99% effective, but 1% is pretty high when it can mean an unwanted pregnancy at a young age), but there's so much more you can do, and it's a shame that some people have to learn that much later in life than they should.

One of the things that bugs me about sexual attitudes is that a lot of the time, I don't feel as if guys are given the message that making your partner happy is better than 50% of the pleasure of sex. Yes, that's right, I said more than half. Of course, its hard to measure, because when two people want to make each other happy, and they realize that the other person is happy to make them happy, well, you get this delicious spiral of happiness, and love, and sharing going.

But I'm digressing a bit from the main point. The main point was a feeble argument that het folks deserve a special advantage over gay folks because het sex is more risky than gay sex. Oh, yeah, and men and women are so different that having to date outside one's gender is a Big Deal.


Me, I don't see why any pair of people who love each other should be disallowed from declaring that they are a family, and have that accepted by the state. Marriage has nothing to do (directly) with sex. It has to do with the forging of a family tie.

And yes, that family tie is more useful when procreation enters the picture. It doesn't change anything important. Love is what makes a family; marriage is only the recognition of this.

No one should be denied that recognition.

Comments:
That's certainly a ... novel ... argument.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com