Saturday, September 30, 2006

Here's an interesting question. Does "light torture" work?

I mean, can you torture someone a little bit, and have that work?

What do you think? I mean, if someone hurts you, does that make you want to do what they want? What if they hurt you, just a bit, over and over again? Does that make you finally think "well, I might as well do what this person wants?" Or are you more likely to bristle at the bad treatment and refuse to give in, just out of stubbornness?

I don't know about anyone else, but light torture wouldn't work with me. I reckon it wouldn't work with anyone who was pretty tough and stubborn. It might even be slower than traditional interrogation methods.

If you want torture to work quickly and reliably, it has to be harsh. At least, that's what my common sense tells me. What about yours? How do you normally react when someone you hate finds they have the power to cause you annoyance? Do you decide to do what that person wants, to avoid the annoyance? Or does it make you more stubborn?

Then ask yourself: if Bush really wants to be able to use his "enhanced interrogation techniques", are they really only "torture light"? Or are they full fledged torture that he's convinced some folks is gentler than it looks?

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com