Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Martin Luther King Jr.

Here's the thing about Martin Luther King Jr., the thing that a lot of people don't understand. He wasn't a great opponent of racism. He was, instead, a great supporter of humanity.

If we love one another like brothers and sisters, if we care about each other as members of the same family should, if we work to end poverty, and suffering, we can't help but end racism. How could we stand to see members of our own family be the targets of hatred, of unfair discrimination and hateful prejudices?

It's the answer that Jesus gave us; Martin Luther King Jr. was a true Christian, one who took the message and the mission seriously.

And it makes me sad that so few people understand that.

I'll end this with a quote from him, one that moves me deeply, and shows me how far we are from his dream:


We must rapidly begin the shift from a thing-oriented society to a person-oriented society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, militarism and economic exploitation are incapable of being conquered.

Comments:
May I put a link to your site on my blog?

I won't without your okay. I so enjoy your comments at LA as well. Just let me know.
 
Ziem,

Sure, go right ahead, and thank you.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com