Wednesday, January 31, 2007

This is infuriating...

I don't like the expression "I lost all respect for (personX) when (event)". People are complex and it should be awfully hard to lose *all* respect for someone. Who hasn't done something that they later realized was incredibly stupid (or mean, or whatever)?

But this comes close.

Listen: you don't start up heavy machinery unless you are *sure* the area is clear. You don't put it in gear if there's anyone close by. And you sure as hell don't laugh at people scrambling to get out of the way of heavy equipment.

I've seen commenters at the link saying that it wasn't all that dangerous, those things move slowly and stop really easily, and you know what? I don't care.

I don't care if he's the world's most expert lumberjack, if he picks up an axe, and swings it without checking his area, he's being irresponsible... and that's an axe, not a huge tractor. I don't care how minor the danger was; you don't fool around. If people are panicked around you, bad things can happen... just the least of it being, people slipping and falling as they scramble to get out of the way.

It's the most basic of safety rules, and he would have had to wait just a few seconds before having his fun to obey it: make sure the area is clear before you start.

I can't say I'd lose all respect for him if I respected him and heard this... but I'd sure as hell lose a lot.

Comments:
Kind of reminds me of the way shrub runs the country.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com