Monday, September 08, 2008

Democrats being mean to Palin! (News at at 11...)

Oh no! The dirty filthy Democrats are hammering Palin for having supported the "Bridge to Nowhere"! How mean! How unfair! They've supported pork barrel spending themselves, so how dare they talk about her?

The Republicans are really playing the victim card hard on this one, and I don't blame them, because folks can see the problem here.

It's not that Palin supported some pork. I think that the job of government is to help us do the things that we can't do alone. Why have a government if it's not to help us build a functioning society? And a bridge to an island with an airport might well be a good use of tax payer dollars. I don't know the facts, so I can't say the bridge was a good idea, but it's in line with what I'd like to see the government doing. The fifty folks on the island can't build the bridge on their own, but maybe, depending on a variety of factors, it might be worthwhile enough to have Uncle Sam kick in some funding.

So, you see, it's not the bridge. It's the lies.

She said she told Congress "thanks, but no thanks". And that was a flat out lie. She didn't give up on the project until Congress had already nixed it.

She said "I'm a reformer! I hate pork!" and she lied to us.

Now, politicians lie all the time, so let's not be too hard on her. (If you do, it makes baby Republicans - a surprisingly large number of whom are well over the age of majority - cry.) But it does impeach her claims of being some kind of "maverick reformer".

Of course, when I say "impeach", I mean "totally disprove". Hey, don't blame me; I'm only the messenger.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com